Alejandro specializes in real estate finance and investment, projects and project finance, structured finance, financing of public entities and mergers & acquisitions. He has strong experience in the real estate sector. His experience includes the advising on investments in hotels, mega-developments and time-share regimes and the related financing.
Alejandro’s projects practice focuses on project finance and public-private partnerships including the Mexican PPS model, energy and infrastructure projects. Alejandro advised both the state of Mexico and the state of Sonora on the structuring, bidding and implementation of the first PPS state projects. He has since continued to be involved in major PPS projects including hospitals, roads, water treatment plants, energy and gas.
Alejandro has strong international experience. He regularly advises multinational clients, particularly major hotel, tourism and leisure groups, on real estate investments and development in Mexico as well as in forming bidding consortiums and other aspects of infrastructure and energy projects in Mexico. He also advises financial institutions participating in tourism, energy and infrastructure.
Alejandro has been recognized by chambers Latin America as an innovative and skillful lawyer for complex transactions. Alejandro worked in the International Law Firm Mayer Brown LLP in New York. He obtained his LLM from the University of Columbia, School of Law and passed the New York Bar Exam. Alejandro graduated as an attorney from the Instituto Tecnológico Autónomo de México with honors.
Recent work highlights include:
- Advising FibraHotel on its agreement to acquire Fiesta Americana Condesa Cancun All Inclusive Hotel with 507 full-service rooms operated by Grupo Posadas;
- Advised FibraHotel, the first real estate investment trust (REIT) specialized in business-class hotels, in the acquisition of a Fiesta Americana hotel, located in San Juan del Río Querétaro, subject to obtaining certain permits and authorizations.
- Advised APP Coatzacoalcos Villahermosa (“APP”) and acted as transaction counsel, in a MXN$1,950 million securitization of collection rights stemming from a Public-Private Partnership Services Agreement for the rehabilitation, conservation and maintenance of the Coatzacolacos –Villahermosa highway, a 10 year project awarded to APP by the Ministry of Communications and Transports.
- Advised Sistema Integral para el Manejo Ecológico y Procesamiento de Desechos (SIMEPRODE) as counsel for the structuring of a waste to energy project for different municipalities in the State of Nuevo Leon.
- Acted as counsel to Sistema de Agua Potable y Alcantarillado de León (SAPAL) for the development of a strategy to terminate the existing Water Treatment Concession for the Municipality of Leon.
- Advised the Public Servants Social Security and Services Institute (ISSSTE) on the legal terms of various international PPP bidding processes to build and maintain hospitals in Villahermosa (Tabasco), in Tepic (Nayarit), and in Mexico City.
- Advised the Water Commission of the State of Sonora (CEA) on the legal terms of a PPP international bidding process to build, operate and maintain for 20 years a desalination plant in Guaymas, State of Sonora, Mexico partially funded by CONAGUA and FONADIN.
- Advised San Fernando de Cortez in connection with the coordination of the legal, financial and technical firms with the objective to obtain from the SCT (Federal Ministry of Communications and Transportation) a concession in Empalme, Sonora, to build, install, manage and operate a maritime terminal to handle, store and transport natural gas, liquefied natural gas, gasoline and other related fuels under the recently enacted Mexico’s Energy Reform.
- Advised Constructora y Edificadora, GIA + A (“GIA”) in its participation in the international public bidding issued by ISSSTE for the construction of Hospital Regional Mérida.