Our compliance practice advises Mexican and foreign companies, both regulated and non-regulated, on the prevention, identification and management of risks, the liabilities and contingencies arising therefrom, and on the development of complex structures and solutions related to regulatory compliance.
Our practice stands-out due to our extensive experience in international and cross-border matters. We work in collaboration with foreign legal firms in the design and implementation of legal instruments and actions within the Mexican legal framework and foreign regulation with extraterritorial application in Mexico.
‘ Their attention to detail, deal-friendliness and responsiveness is top notch. Their ability to push deals through and find client-oriented solutions is impressive. Their knowledge of the local market is also unique.‘
The firm has a strong focus on anti-money laundering, data protection, consumer protection regulation and anti-corruption.
Legal500 Latin America, 2021
The lawyers involved in our compliance practice have different type of specializations, which permits a multidisciplinary collaboration of practice areas for the benefit of our clients.
Our compliance practice covers the following services:
- Anti-corruption. We advise on compliance of the regulatory framework of the National Anti-Corruption System (Sistema Nacional Anticorrupción), the Administrative Responsibilities General Law (Ley General de Responsabilidades Administrativas), and other statutory laws related to the prevention of corrupt practices in Mexico, and foreign laws with extraterritorial effects such as the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) and the UK Bribery Act.
- Due diligence. We carry out specialized due diligence and reporting to detect risks and make recommendations on specific issues in operations related to mergers and acquisitions, corporate governance, internal compliance, among others.
- Antitrust. We provide advice on the application of the Antitrust Federal Law (Ley Federal de Competencia Económica) through the implementation of programs and systems with the purpose of preventing that our client’s operations affect competition or breach the antitrust legal framework.
- Corporate Governance. We provide advice and develop training programs for board members, senior officials and other personnel on compliance of international corporate governance standards, including best corporate practices, the implementation of ESG (environmental, social and governance) principles, and the development of programs, manuals and policies of integrity, ethics and regulatory compliance appropriate to the nature, culture and profile of our clients.
- Internal investigations. We provide services for the identification of illicit acts and conducts related to the company’s operations, contingent of administrative or judicial procedures in Mexico or abroad by foreign authorities such as the United States Department of Justice or the Securities and Exchange Commission.
- Anti-Money laundering. We advise on the identification of money laundering risks and implementation of measures to comply with the Federal Law to Prevent and Identify Operations with Resources of Illicit Sources (Ley Federal para la Prevención e Identificación de Operaciones con Recursos de Procedencia Ilícita) and the regulation applicable to money laundering activities. We have lawyers certified by the National Banking and Securities Commission as compliance officers in the prevention of money laundering.
- Consumer protection. We advise our clients on compliance with the regulatory framework for consumer protection and on preventing contingencies with the consumer protection authorities (CONDUSEF and PROFECO).
- Personal data protection. We advise our clients on compliance with the regulatory framework for the protection of personal data, including drafting privacy notices and developing personal data protection policies to be implemented by each client according to its operation, advising on handling sensitive and biometric data, and assisting our clients on contingencies and administrative procedures derived from claims filed with regulatory authorities.