Gunter specializes in capital markets, mergers & acquisitions, structured finance, secured transactions, cross-border lending and real estate finance. Gunter is an expert in highly complex public issuances and securitizations and has developed in-depth expertise in CKDs (development capital certificates) and FIBRAs (the Mexican equivalent of a U.S. REIT), advising sponsors and underwriters alike.
To date he has advised the sponsors in the structuring and launch of a total of seven CKD funds placed in the Mexican Stock Market, focused on the real estate industry and the energy and infrastructure sectors, as well as on four FIBRA transactions, focused on the retail and hotel industries.
Gunter has strong international experience and speaks fluent English. He is regularly involved in cross-border transactions, particularly on the side of foreign lenders in real estate and acquisition financings. Gunter represents international banks and financial institutions, global real estate investors and insurance companies.
Gunter spent a year working at international law firm Mayer Brown LLP in Chicago, having received his LL.M. (with honors) from the Northwestern University School of Law and a Certificate in Business Administration from the Kellogg School of Management. He graduated as an attorney (with honors) from the Universidad Iberoamericana.
A selection of recent transactions and projects on which Gunter advised, include:
- Advising Artha Capital on the successful launch of a third class of certificate (Series C) for its fourth public fund (known as “CKD”) (ARTH4CK 18) for an aggregate amount of MXN$2,000 million in Mexico;
- Advising Carza as issuer in the structuring and placement of its first CKD Fund focused on residential real estate for an aggregate amount of MXN$2,470 million, subject to a capital call structure;
- Representing CKD IM Infraestructura México, as sponsor, in the creation, registration and approval by the Mexican securities regulator of the first multi-Fibra E registration programme for a total issuance amount of MXN 50,000 million. This unprecedented matter will change the nature of the Fibra E market and was commended in the Financial Times’ Innovative Lawyers rankings in 2017 under the category Accessing New Markets and Capital;
- Advising MetLife as seller on a share purchase agreement with Principal Financial Group as purchaser whereby 100% of the shares of MetLife Afore and its subsidiaries will be acquired by Principal;
- Advising Artha Capital on the successful launch of its fifth public fund (known as “CKD”) for an aggregate amount of MXN 12,000 million in Mexico, focused on investments in the mixed use and tourism real estate sector;
- Advising Pemex in the unwinding of its joint venture with IEnova in Gasoductos de Chihuahua;
- Advising Fibra Nova on its Initial Public Offering through the Bolsa Mexicana de Valores for a total amount of MXN 1,220 million;
- Advising Artha Capital on the successful launch of its fourth public fund (CKD) for an aggregate amount of USD155 million in Mexico. The client will focus investments of this CKD on the entire real estate value chain;
- Advising Grupo Salinas in the sale of Iusacell to AT&T, pursuant to which AT&T acquired 100% of Iusacell for USD 2.5 billion after having advised Grupo Salinas in the unwinding of its joint venture with Grupo Televisa in Iusacell;
- Advising Fibra Danhos on the acquisition from Grupo IPB of Vía Vallejo, a mixed-use development located in Mexico City for USD 270 million to be paid with equity certificates issued by the Fibra;
- Advised MetLife México on a MXN 2.3 billion loan to CIM Group in order to provide financing on a multifamily portfolio acquisition of six properties located in Mexico City and Monterrey, in Mexico.